Our mission is to give a "hug" (handmade item of warmth or cooling depending on season) to every American serving in the Middle East. We want every deployed troop to know we support their mission to protect our freedoms & to provide freedom to the people of the Middle East.
As this war has continued for over 13 years, we hear from more and more troops that they are now getting less and less support. They express concerns that "America has forgotten us". We tell them, "We're here for you as long as you're there for us".
Many of our members remember the damage done to troops during the Vietnam era when our troops felt their country turned on them. We are determined this will NOT happen to this generation of brave, young American Military members!
We welcome volunteers to visit us any W or Th from 10-3. We write letters, break down product, sign cards, sew cooling ties (other jobs available to help make hugs too, you don't HAVE to sew), pack care packages, make Christmas ornaments and stockings (you can do these at home and bring in) and make survival bracelets. We always need money. Our postage costs about $1,500-$2,000 each month. You can send a check, donate fabric or yarn. We also like to do events if someone can donate table space, we set up a display to explain what we do to benefit troops. We can also show a care package and what goes inside. At events, we are given names of deployed troops and donations to help us continue this project. If given a name and address, we can get a box of supplies out to that troop within 1-2 weeks. We love our troops and respect them for providing our freedoms. If you have a loved one currently deployed “in harm’s way” who you would like to receive a care package, please send their info including birthdate (month and day), living conditions, special requests and approximate mail cut off date.We'd be honored to let them know Americans/Oklahomans care.We want every deployed troop & American civilian to know we support their mission to protect our freedoms and to provide freedom to the people of the Middle East. This is our way of saying "Thank you, we appreciate you for the difficult job you do ".
During the cold months, we send warm hand knitted and crocheted items such as hats, fingerless gloves, neck warmers, and sleep boots in addition to the basics. Our Christmas boxes are the most spectacular as they include special items including individually Christmas wrapped solar powered LED flashlights, computer flash drives, disposable cameras, mini binoculars, homemade cookies and candies, handcrafted Sequence and Mancala board games, handmade Christmas stockings stuffed with goodies, etc.
In 2013, we sent 2000 Regular Weekly Care Packages and 3000 Christmas Care Packages comprising over 121.5 Tons of care package items. In addition to food and hygiene items, these included a total of 96,930 “Hugs” cooling ties, 5,845 “Kisses” cooling helmet liners, 2,817 handmade water coolers (made like the cooling ties but hold 3 bottles of drinking water to make it more palatable in 120 degree temperatures!), 5,848 knitted wool hats, 496 knitted blankets, 747 knitted fingerless gloves, 800 helmet liners, 27,409 knitted neck pillows, 752 knitted neck warmers, 76,983 survival bracelets, 14,626 sand scarves, 1,164 knitted sleep boots, 5,485 shower bags, 7,993 knitted soap holders, 2,149 warm snuggles, 7,268 handmade Christmas stockings, 3000 solar powered LED flashlights, 7,107 knitted children’s hats, 39,739 handmade bears, 5,990 denim school bags, 7 sewing machines and 2 wheelchairs. 98% of the care packages, or approximately 4900 boxes, were sent to Afghanistan with the remaining 2%, or approximately 100 boxes, going to Iraq, Guantanamo Bay Cuba, Kurdistan, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Djibouti, Honduras, Columbia and Okinawa, Japan.
We can always use donations of money, care package items and your time! None of our donated monies ever go to pay salaries. No one involved in the Hugs Project is paid, not even our Executive Director! Everything we do is a "labor of love" to help our troops.
We are supporting some of America's finest men and women....the US military. We welcome you to join us.
Indirect Public Support HelpIndirect public support represents revenue received through solicitation campaigns. This includes funding United Way and other federated fundraising organizations, but does not include donor designated contributions.
Earned Revenue HelpEarned revenue represents income generated in direct exchange for a product or service.Earned income includes income from government contracts.
Copyright © 2014 Oklahoma City Community Foundation
1000 N. Broadway Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73102